A fixed-term contract for 1 year with the possibility of starting a PhD and extending the contract to 3-4 years
The successful candidates are expected to start working on February 2019. Starting date is negotiable but can not be extended later than the end of April 2019
Department of Primary Education, University of Ioannina
Apply no later than: 20/12/2018
We are seeking two PhD students to work on the following project:
“Comparing effectiveness of self-management interventions in 4 high priority chronic diseases in Europe (COMPAR-EU)” (funded by the European Union: HORIZON 2020)
COMPAR-EU is a multimethod, inter-disciplinary project that will contribute to bridging the gap between current knowledge and practice of self-management interventions. COMPAR-EU aims to identify, compare, and rank the most effective and cost-effective self-management interventions (SMIs) for adults in Europe living with one of the four high-priority chronic conditions: type 2 diabetes, obesity, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and heart failure. More information about the project can be found in https://self-management.eu/
Our primary role in this project is to apply network meta-analysis (NMA) to identify the most effective self-management interventions (SMI) in four chronic diseases. SMIs are complex in the sense that they consist of multiple interacting components and we aim to develop statistical methods that disentangle the effect of each component. Other aspects of NMA such as testing statistical assumptions of NMA, ranking interventions need to be tailored for complex interventions.
The evidence synthesis methods group in the Department of Primary Education in the University of Ioannina consists of one assistant professor in Statistics, two post-doctoral research fellows, two PhD students and one web developer/R programmer. Its aim is to develop statistical methods for evidence synthesis with an emphasis on network meta-analysis. The team participates in various research programs and has a wide-range of collaborators from various fields in Greece and abroad.
During your PhD you will:
– Extend existing statistical methods for network meta-analysis to facilitate the comparison of different treatment modalities including treatment combinations and treatment pathways.
– Develop easy-to-use software and online tools that will implement the developed methods.
– Collaborate with scientists of diverse backgrounds (statisticians, epidemiologists, doctors etc.) in Greece and abroad.
– Present results in international conferences and publish them in peer-reviewed journals.
– You have a university degree (MSc or equivalent) in biostatistics/statistics.
– Programming skills in at least one computer programming language.
– Fluency in English both written and oral.
– Experience with meta-analysis would be desirable
– Publications related to statistics or epidemiology would be desirable
What we offer
– Working in an international, multidisciplinary, and highly stimulating environment.
– Salary ranging from 15000-17000 a year (pre-tax)